Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday Food Necklace

these foods have holes
Sunday night I went to the grocery store in search of threadable circle-shaped foods. The plan was to celebrate Fat Tuesday and kick off Daddie Gras by stringing dental floss through the snacks.  We would modify traditional Mardi Gras celebrations by eating the "beads" ourselves rather than throwing them out of 2nd story windows to topless revelers below.  The latter are hard to come by on our street in winter, anyway.
I put the food in bowls.  To thread the necklaces, I attached a piece of kabob skewer to one end of a line of dental floss, with the other end anchored to a cardboard disk to keep the snacks from sliding off the end.


The kids were acting like disinterested teenagers, giving a lazy, half-hearted attempt at necklace making.  They preferred to ignore me and focus on sorting the snack piles for fistfuls of Froot Loops and Gummi Savers.  Sam finally ran off, amusing himself with something quiet while the girls and I finished their necklaces.



I realized that what had kept Sam so quiet while I finished the girls' neclaces was the fact that he had found a little sewing kit and was unwinding spools of thread all over the house.

it was a lot of thread and it was wrapped around everything.

Before long, I was changing a poopy diaper, when I heard a crash and wailing.  As I went to deal with the crying twin I hear another crash from the other room: Sam had knocked over the humidifier.  As I helped Sam clean up the spilled water, I heard...silence.  A quick check found the twins on our bed, sharing a tube of Neutrogena hand cream.  Let's just say they probably won't get chapped cheeks any time soon.  Just then, the plumber showed up to demand my full attention and let me know that he would have to knock out the plaster in the kids' room.  Excellent!  In order to keep the dust down, I started hanging plastic from the ceiling, all while the kids were scattered throughout the neighborhood, doing goodness knows what.    I was officially rattled, getting my ass kicked, and it went on like that, pretty much all day.

Finally I gave up and fled with the kids to McDonalds.  We had Happy Meals and hung out at the Playland for a while.  The kids there were nice, and evidently pretty good at sharing:  Iris went into the play structure  empty handed and came out chewing on a Chicken McNugget.  Thanks, someone!

Thank you, McDonalds, for having strap-in restraint chairs for toddlers

Fun Rating: 3 out of 10.  You win some, you lose some :)  


8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. apple slices? and no french fries?? oh, daddie... no wonder iris stole that kid's nugget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a KILLER day. How did it even rate a THREE? Wonder what zoloft mom's first comment was.....gramma mia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ross, I look forward to your postings every week. This week did not disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zmom, you're right, the kids see right through that Apple Dipper crap. Trust me, they got plenty of Daddie's fries.
    Gramma, I think it would have been a solid 1.0 rating, but Playland salvaged some of the rating.
    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think maybe a #1 rating would be for a day when you needed to resort to having them watch TV all day while you you have adult beverages in the kitchen.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. A rating of 1 involves injuries with blood. A rating of zero involves loss of limb, foreclosure, and/or divorce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gaaah, Sammy and the girls are getting so big!
    - Your cousin,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete